Sunday, October 9, 2016

Let's Read: The Little Zen Companion

I usually do fantasy, I know.

But here's something different.

Like a word a day- it's 350 japanese koans to meditate on (many from western thinkers). Or you could play the Little Zen Companion game and discuss them with others (I've done it, and now I can achieve mu shin :P)

Even more succinct than Nietzsche, the Companion offers short clips that are sometimes "...puzzling- when words are not used to communicate an idea, but as tools to plant a wordless truth,"

As it says "Sometimes strange things can happen."

I tried it with a math friend of mine- showing her "Water to pure has no fish." I took that to mean that ideas crashed when they were introduced to people, much to their creator's dismay, because there was no filter in the real world. But that the ideas themselves had no intrinsic value, they had worth due to the people they were shared with. Adaptation was incredibly important.

She said "I'll be sure to never put fish into distilled water." End of story. I laughed.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few." is the first quote in the book.

Some of my favorite memories are of a friend's room, she'd print out quotes and hang them on the wall. We always had something to talk about.

It's not a coffee table book, but I keep it there.


#LetsRead

Question 1:
"Ah, but I was so much older than that then. I'm younger now."
Bob Dylan





Achieve instant and everlasting Enlightenment (ok- get smarter) Buy it Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment